Friday, December 19, 2008

Crime Scene

I left the kids under my husband's care a few nights ago to finish my Christmas shopping and I came home to this:






My apologies to the swooners. Yes, that is blood. My 16-month-old son's, to be exact. And I didn't even take pictures of the doorknobs, dresser, pillows, walls, CD player, or his clothing.

This is what happens when I leave Daddy in charge.

To be fair, John was working diligently to surprise me with a clean house. As he moved from room to room vacuuming, Josiah happily followed him, chasing the vacuum and playing with whatever was in his path. But as John was nearly finished, he noticed Joey rubbing his hands together and looking at them. Then he realized his hands were completely covered in blood.

He hurried to wash them off to assess the wound and determine whether it would require stitches, but all he found was the teeniest tiniest little nick on his left thumb--about as wide as a double pin-prick.

Of course, it makes complete sense when you realize that Joey's blood is still being thinned by aspirin, so the bleeding just goes on and on... Ugh. A water-proof band-aid and a little pressure did the trick this time.

I'm no forensics expert, but I seriously didn't expect it to take me two whole days to find everything he bled on! Fortunately it was limited to the upstairs level of the house.

Aside from dreading that each bump or pinch will lead to excessive, unstoppable bleeding, I'm looking forward to ten days from now when he will (God willing) be off the aspirin for good so that we don't have to avoid other people. Doctor's orders: we're not allowed to take him to church, or any crowded place, or be around anyone who has or has had a recent virus. Our social schedule has been pretty limited, to say the least.

I think we'll probably break that rule on Christmas Eve so we can go to church. We'll just plan to ruin our holiday attire by wearing signs that say "PLEASE DO NOT BREATH ON, COME NEAR, OR TOUCH US!" Or maybe we'll just look into purchasing a human-sized hampster ball and coat it with Purell.

1 comment:

Meg said...

looking forward to when we can be around you guys again!