Thursday, January 1, 2009

Book review: My Little Girl

Thanks to a tip from a friend, I recently became a "Book Review Blogger" for Thomas Nelson Publishers. The first book I received from them is called My Little Girl by Tim McGraw.

I admit to being a fringe country music fan, and I appreciate the expressions of Christian faith I hear in McGraw's music, as well as hearing of his devotion as a husband and father, so I was curious about his foray into children’s literature.

My daughter and I really enjoyed this sweet-as-sugar-and-spice book that celebrates the relationship between a father and daughter.

In the story, Katie prepares for an extravagant day with her father, but his plans didn’t include anything extraordinary. Their enjoyment of each other is inspiring and put many smiles on my daughter’s face. The whimsical illustrations add to the charm by really bringing out the characters’ personalities.

As a parent I often think that creating great memories requires big events, extravagance or money, but McGraw’s story shows that even “nothing-in-particular” moments can strengthen the bond between a parent and child and provide lasting memories of life together.

I was encouraged how McGraw, a top-selling musician, writes in a down-to-earth manner and how he demonstrates his faith and values in subtle ways in his writing, such as Katie’s bedtime prayer. His wife Faith Hill writes the forward and expresses her hope “for fathers and daughters to enjoy each other’s company and make memories reading together.”

No comments: