Friday, February 20, 2009

Overwhelmed

Websters defines it as "to be covered over or buried beneath; to be made helpless." Perhaps that's not quite the right word. This definition makes it sound like a bad thing, but the overwhelming feeling in my life right now is all good. Challenging, but good.

I was also inspired by this photo of a newspaper article that an old friend pointed out to me recently:


Fortunately I'm in a place where it made me laugh, but it did get me thinking about why I've been neglecting my blog lately in favor of living life. I suppose to say that I've been busy would be one way to put it, so I started to think about what exactly I've been doing that has kept me from the keyboard and made my life so full.

For starters, I've continued in my study of the life of Moses in BSF. The homework for this study is broken up into segments for each day, and since my kids are such early risers, I most often wait until naptime to sit down with the questions so that I can have a little bit of quiet to focus and learn. I also just began a second Bible study with some women from our church. The gals happened to choose a Precept study for this spring, which I have heard great things about but have never done. This 8-week study on Jesus' Sermon on the Mount comes in a 3-ring binder, so you could say there's a bit of homework for this one, too! I've been feeling like I'm back in school, spending every day at naptime diving in these studies of the Bible.

I have also been trying to squeeze in a little time during these afternoon hours to spend with the newest member of our family: the Eliptical. As part of my desire to keep myself in good physical condition like I wrote about recently, I've been trying to spend several naptimes a week on the machine, and I've been loving that time. Some days my plans don't work out (pun intended), but when they do, I feel wonderful to have gotten that time to push my physical limits and burn off some energy (as if I have so much to spare!).

Besides these few hours of my day, I've been enjoying having my in-laws in town. They have stayed with us for a few days here and there, visiting John's two uncles who both live within an hour's drive of our house in between stays. I dare say we've been wearing them out! Our house is full of energy with a preschooler and a toddler, but their desire to dive in and experience life with us has been rewarding to us, for sure. For one thing, they have helped us with several projects around the house -- accomplishing things on my to-do list like installing a new master bathroom floor, refinishing our oak dining room table, building bookshelves for the loft, and inspiring me to do even more. For another, John and I have had several dates (!) and have cherished spending some much-needed time together outside our home.

And did I mention house projects? I have been dreaming up grand plans for some of our living space, but I've been working on the little things that are more practical and affordable right now. Framing photos, sewing a bed skirt and valance for Lucy and curtains for our bedroom, hanging artwork, organizing closets. And I'm finally getting closer to actually using some of the African fabrics I've been collecting for years. Closer, I said.

I feel like this just scratches the surface of the fullness of life right now. All of this is what's going on on the outside, but perhaps I'll share some of what's going on on the inside in another entry. I could probably try to scale back right now, but the truth is that I don't want to. Like I said, it's all good! So, now, if you'll excuse me, I have some laundry to do, a family to feed, and an Etsy order to fill...

No comments: