Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Happiest Place on Earth

Just in case you may have been under the impression that Disney World is the happiest place on earth, let me just be the one to set you straight.

It's Red Robin.

Okay, so it's only been a few decades since my parents took me to Orlando for The Experience, but it's only been a few hours since I've been to Red Robin, and I'm pretty sure my kids would agree with me on this one.

From the moment we set our feet on the asphalt, we could see "Red" at the door, waving and ready to welcome us. Yes, I'm talking about a big guy dressed in shiny yellow tights with a bird's body and blue vest, but I hadn't seen my kids' faces light up like that all day. (And we had a fun day!) They each got a high-five and giggled while "Red" did his little boogie dance before we we ushered inside.

And then there was the food. Lucy was beside herself that she could have grilled cheese for dinner, and Joey was so happy just to be there that he actually ate food. (For those of you who know this boy, you understand what a big deal this is.) Not only did he eat grilled cheese and fries, but he wiggled with glee to whatever 80's tunes were playing over the loud speaker.

As we ended our meal, we were graced once again with the presence of the sleek-legged big red bird and he made the rounds through the tables. You would think our kids gained a personal audience with Mickey Mouse himself.

And then to top it off, they each got a helium balloon on the way out.

For a five-year-old and a two-year-old, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Unless of course, we had allowed them to get that cherry-topped sundae.

No comments: