Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kindergarten: The End

There she goes. The last time she'll look so tiny walking into her school, carrying a backpack that is half as large as she is. The last time she'll be among the smallest and youngest kids going through those doors.

A whole year of school is behind her. Finished. Accomplished. She's grown so much, and I don't just mean that she's taller.

Today was the end, but really it's just the beginning--of our first summer break! And of realizing and trying to grasp that I have a six year old first grader. *Gulp*

We had a fun morning celebrating with her class, but as she gave her teacher one last hug the tears began to flow. I almost lost it, too, but managed to hold it together and give her a comforting hug. Phew!

From those who have gone before me, I'd love to hear that it gets easier with each year, or at least with each child. But I have a feeling there are very few words of comfort out there for this sentimental mama to hear...

1 comment:

Becky Hansen said...

Oh how I understand! My baby will say goodbye to kindergarten in a few short weeks. We then enter the stage where both boys are in school full time! I'm still not sure what I am going to do with my time in the fall. And you're right, it doesn't get easier. I will have a fourth grader soon! Yikes!