Thursday, November 18, 2010

Each Day

Parenting. It's a super hard job. If you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about. I love my children like I never thought was possible, and I consider them to be the most amazing gifts from God. Being a parent is a huge privilege--to think that God has entrusted me with these precious lives to shape and care for! Yet sometimes I get bogged down in the daily tasks of caring for them, or discouraged in the responsibility of disciplining them.

There are times when it can be hard to live each day with purpose and not just try to survive!

Kind of like this week has been for me. Hmm.

I was encouraged today to discover this little bit of wisdom on parenting, and I'm challenged to give it a go. If you have little ones (or even not-so-little ones) in your care, I encourage you to do the same:

EACH DAY, I will:

  • Consider my role as parent as a significant God-appointed responsibility.
  • Ask God's direction regarding my child at night and in the morning.
  • Use the Bible as my main resource book in parenting.
  • List at least one new blessing God has given me as a parent.

Each day. Not just once in a while. Not just when my son stubbornly refuses to eat his favorite dinner. Not just when I have to remind me daughter for the 18th time to get in the car or she'll be late for school. Not just when my baby is up in the middle of the night for the third time in three hours. And not just when they all climb into my lap for a sweet snuggle. Not just when I see them sharing without being asked. Not just when I hear them singing a song of praise when they think no one is listening.

I have a feeling that some days this is going to be joyfully easy, and others will take some serious deep-breath taking and on-my-knees praying. But I look forward to how it will change my perspective for the better on the hard days, and give me even more reason to rejoice and give glory to God on the good ones.

3 comments:

barlow said...

this is melissa..i take your challenge!! i have been so discouraged with my boys lately, it's been really hard not to fall apart when jon gets home sometime...: )

but i think that's because we do care about parenting and raising our children!!

Anonymous said...

Great reminders, Kelly. Thanks!
--Cristina

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW! Thank you! Very timely for me today...this being by far the hardest day in the month that I've been a mom of 3. I needed this.