Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Get Your Craft On

Another day of Christmas break, another Christmas craft! At the risk of this sounding like a cooking and crafting blog, I thought it would be fun to share what Lucy and I did today. That is, in between eating Christmas cookies and watching Christmas movies. Naturally.

I found this idea in a magazine a few weeks ago and cut the page out for just such a time as this. It turned out to be super easy, very fun, not messy (which is one of mommy's requirements for in-home crafting with two little boys at our feet), and far more pretty than I imagined.

Here is what we used:
Sculpey oven-bake clay, Mod Podge Sparkle glue, and some red satin ribbon. We also needed waxed paper, a flat-bottomed glass, a plastic drinking straw, and a sponge brush (though I'm sure any paint brush would have worked just fine).

I had Lucy collect some textured objects from around the house. She came back with a beaded bracelet, an acorn top, a sea shell, and the top of a teapot.

I cut a few slices of clay, we rolled them into little balls, then flattened them between waxed paper with the glass until they were about a quarter of an inch thick. The fun part was adding patterns by lightly pressing the textured objects into the clay. The final step was using a drinking straw to punch a little hole for the ribbon.

Then we baked them according to the clay package directions and allowed them to cool before Lucy coated them with sparkles.
I know, she either looks asleep or bored out of her mind in this photo, but trust me, Little Miss Santa was having lots of fun. Who doesn't have fun with sparkles?

Once they dried, we strung them with ribbon and hung them on our tree.
I love how imperfect they are. What I see instead of perfection are little images of a six-year-old's creativity, and a fun afternoon of making Christmas-time memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun, simple idea! And I'm with you on prefering non-messy projects! We'll have to try this!
--Cristina