Monday, September 22, 2008

A Picture is Worth A Thousand Calories


This weekend I took advantage of a local event to teach my kids about their German heritage. Okay, really it was just a fun excuse to check out Oktoberfest here in Parker, Colorado. But truly, I am nearly 100% German -- with a very small fraction of Polish and possibly another small fraction Native American, but that's another story for another time -- and I thought it would be fun to check it out, and a great excuse to get outside with the kids on a beautiful September day.

I pushed them down -- and by 'down' I mean downhill -- in the double jogger. Our house is just shy of two miles from the town center where the festival was taking place, and about a 250 ft change in altitude. That may not sound like much, but keep in mind that we live just above 6,000 ft and have had our double jogger in storage until just four weeks ago when we moved into our house. The farthest I have pushed it so far in my life is about three blocks to the neighborhood playground. Stupid? Perhaps. Adventurous? Indeed.

We made it there, enjoyed the polka band and the Bavarian dancers. Lucy and I shared a wonderful apple strudel with whipped cream. (Truth be told, she only had one bite of the strudel and some whipped cream, then told me to eat the rest, which I gladly devoured!) And then I pushed them back home. It was really helpful when Lucy was singing songs to 'help' me go faster uphill, but it didn't work.

That was a well-deserved strudel. I think next year I'll drive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next year I can push! Good job, proud of you for going that far.

Melissa said...

Think of it this way. you ate basically a whole apple strudel and burned it off before you even got home.

:-)

Sounds like a fun day.

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Great for you to get out and make it happen anyway! That's awesome! :) Totally know what you mean about the altitude! It's a crazy thing!

Happy birthday (a few hours early)...

Hang in there as you hold the fort down!

Mo said...

Hey, nothing like a 250ft incline to work off an apple strudel :)

My husband and I are actually taking our kids downtown the the Larimer Square Oktoberfest this next Sunday. I've never been before, how is it? Other than the amazing sounding food, do they had lots of kid-appropriate stuff?

(by the way, I can never remember if I've commented here yet or not, but I somehow clicked my way to your blog a while ago and love it :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday and visit with your mom. We are just venturing into the "having the neighborhoods kids over" stage and I think of your mom EVERY SINGLE TIME ONE OF THEM STEPS IN MY DOOR. Praise God for her (and you too! :))