Monday, November 10, 2008

From the Sick House

What a week! My poor little guy has been down -- and I mean down -- with a fever since last Tuesday. After Lucy had the stomach flu the week before, we were all looking forward to a little more contact with other human beings, but instead we've been holed up here at home. Again.

After a doctor visit on Thursday morning, we started him on antibiotics for what the doc said looked like a mild ear infection. I've never had to give either of my kids antibiotics, and when they do get sick it's usually a short-lived virus and not bad enough for a trip to the pediatrician. It goes against my principle to use antibiotics unless I know for sure it's a bacterial infection. The doctor used the word "might," and so I was skeptical. But that afternoon I watched Joey more carefully and noticed him rubbing his ears with his fists when he cried, so we began to give the medicine a chance. I think I at least expected some gradual improvement after that. He did stop crying as much, and stopped rubbing his ears, so I'm choosing to believe the diagnosis. But the fever and the sleeping continue on. I can't help but thing there's something more to this. A virus, perhaps, and I just need to be patient...

It's hard to see my typically active -- and I mean active -- 15-month-old just sleeping. All. Day. Long. It's like having an infant again. We've seen tiny little improvements (his eyes open a little longer, and some head nodding and signing to ask for water), but overall he's just not getting better yet. He wakes up for about 5 minutes every hour or two, cries a little, drinks some water, or sometimes he will nurse, and then he's out again. I think it's just as hard on me, just to see him like this and feel completely powerless to do anything.

If you believe in the power of prayer, would you remember my sweet Josiah the next time you pray?

(And a special thanks to my good helper, Lucy, for being on her best behavior this week! Sometimes it takes a 'crisis' to bring out the best in us...)

4 comments:

Meg said...

poor joey! i was wondering if there was still some sickness when we didn't see you all at church yesterday. you are all in our prayers -- hang in there!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Wow! I can't even begin to imagine! So sad for you all!

I'll be praying for your sweet, precious baby boy. Hang in there, sweet girl!

Mo said...

Aww, poor guy. Sorry to hear he's been so miserable. I'll definitely keep your family in my thoughts and prayers this week. Hope he starts feeling better soon!

Melissa said...

It is very hard as a mom to watch this. I will be praying for him, but also for you and John. Hang in there.