Saturday, October 25, 2008

Stinking frogs

In Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) this year we are studying the life of Moses. In just the last eight weeks I've been amazed at how much the ancient story of this man's life has been applicable to mine. This past week we took a closer look at nine of the ten plagues brought about to show God's power to Pharaoh as he would not let the Israelites go. One in particular has stuck with me this week. Can you guess which one?

Yup. The frogs.

To summarize, In Exodus 8:1-15, Moses was instructed by God to have his brother Aaron stretch his hands out over the waters of Egypt, and gazillions of frogs crawled up out of the waters and onto the land, covering everything in sight. It says that frogs were in the houses and bedrooms, in the kneading troughs and ovens. They were everywhere. Yuck.

Interesting stuff, you say, but what can this story possibly teach me? I used to think the plagues were simply a display of God's power, showing that it was Him -- not Pharaoh or Moses or Aaron -- that was ultimately responsible for getting the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt. But as I read some of the background of the Egyptian culture, I began to understand that the plagues were strategic moves by God against the three great natural forces of life that the Egyptians worshipped: the Nile River, the land, and the sun. Of all the calamities brought against them, the frog plague hit a nerve.

I read that archaeologists have found amulets carved in the form of frogs, showing that the Egyptians worshipped them. One particular Egyptian god named Hekt (or Heqet) had the head of a frog, or was sometimes pictured with the body of a frog as well. For this reason, it was likely that frogs could not be killed, kind of like the sacred rights of cows in India.

Can you imagine worshipping frogs only to have your life overrun with them, and that there was no way to get rid of them?

The writer of our study notes says this: "The Egyptians were forced to loathe this slimy symbol of their depraved worship."

It got me thinking... When we talk about having 'false gods' or 'idols' in our lives, it's easy to think that I'm exempt. I don't worship the sun or an image carved of wood or stone. Even money isn't that much of a struggle for me personally.

But what about my children?

I can't say that I "worship" them, but I do know that there are many times where my kids come first. I feel like they are my reason for living, my priority, my greatest joy in life. And as I do this I am subconsciously putting them before God. But God is full of grace and mercy -- and humor, I'm convinced.

These precious beings he has placed in my care become disobedient (gasp!) and have tantrums (no!) or a messy poopy diaper in the middle of a dinner party (never!). They melt down at bedtime, refuse naps, make big messes, break things, and often keep me from sleeping more than three hours at a time on any given night. As much as I love them and have a tendency to make my life revolve around them, they also want to make me pull my hair out or dig a hole and crawl into it.

I'm starting to have a sneaking suspicion that this is God's way of reminding me that frogs stink.

If my kids have become the center of my life -- which for me is a place reserved only for God -- then the hard days and moments of chaos have become a reminder to me that it is God alone who belongs on the throne, and that He needs to be my reason for living, my priority, my greatest joy in life.

Thank you, Lord, for the delight that my children are! They are a true gift from You and they bring my life so much joy! And thank you for using them to remind me that YOU need to come first.

2 comments:

Mo said...

Great post! This really got me thinking. I've got to say, I've never read that account in the Bible and been left thinking about the frogs, but what you said really made sense. All the time I'm amazed at how much God has packed into every little ounce of His Word. Things that seem minute and inapplicaple are usually there for a very specific reason. Thanks for reminding me of that :)

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Wow! Well said, as always! That's really neat how we can find things throughout Scripture that we can relate too as well!

Thank you for this!