Friday, October 3, 2008

Super WHAT?

I have grown to appreciate the things my daughter is learning online. She can navigate to the PBS kids website, find her favorite characters or shows, and play nearly all of the games without my help. It's been a tremendous help in keeping her occupied when I need to be doing other things, like putting her brother down for a nap or making a meal or completing a single thought on a phone call. There are a few activities on the site with nearly no redeeming value, but for the most part, she has learned so much from them that, I dare say, they qualify as educational.

Last fall, I believe, a new show was introduced and quickly became a favorite in our house. Super Why's tagline is "With the power to read, we can save the day!" He and his pals use fairy tales and traditional stories to solve everyday problems. It's cute and interactive, teaching letter recognition and phonics, and it's not terribly annoying.

But today I discovered a small flaw that may come back to bite this generation later on: they change the story. They actually change the ending to the fairy tales. Will our children know the true classics when they hear them? Or when fairy tales are used as an analogy, will they understand?

Fairy tales are not a high priority on my list of information I want to impart to my children, but I do understand their value in culture. I suppose it's not a big deal such as a program about changing history or changing the multiplication tables. It just bothered me a little that Lucy was walking around the house this morning saying, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your ladder."

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Parker and Tricia both did units in school on Fairy Tales and one thing they did was compare the different ways that each story was written. Maybe one was a funny poem version, another culture, and the original and they did a study comparing them.

I think Lucy will be fine. :-)

Email me your address. I have something to help you in this.

Love ya all,
Melissa