Thursday, November 19, 2009

A letter to my one-and-only

Dear Blog,

I miss you.

I've thought about writing so many times in recenty weeks, but somehow the days pass and the page remains blank... I'm certainly not one to make excuses, but please remember that I am five months pregnant and caring for two young children beside. I must admit that I'm more tired than usual these days. And I have fewer brain cells to work with, too.

I've been wanting to tell you about the huge October snow storm we had that gave Lucy her first THREE snow days ever. Day One was exciting and fun. We loved staying in our jammies all day, making cookies, soup, caramel corn, and hot chocolate. Day Two was endurable. We watched more TV than we probably should have. Day Three was supposed to be her class Halloween party, and she was supposed to go to school in her costume, but we managed to fight back tears (yes, I said "we") and got to play in the 24 inches of snow with daddy instead, though it was almost entirely melted by the next afternoon.

I've been wanting to tell you about how adorable my kids were on Halloween. Lucy originally wanted to be a ghost, and I was tempted to let her, thinking of how easy and cheap the costume would be. But then she fell in love with the idea of Tinkerbell and her glittery wings. Josiah was Bob the Builder -- an idea I came up with two days before the 31st. We already had the plaid shirt and overalls, so I added a cheap $2 construction hat from the party store and a dollar tool belt from Walmart and tied some of his plastic tools to it. Done. And very cute. He really got into trick-or-treating, too, and he still says "trick or treat" to an occasional store clerk or friend who answers their door. Lucy is The Saver and wants to ration her treats until they become rock hard and we throw the rest away in August. Joey, on the other hand, just wanted to eat them all as soon as they were handed out. He went home with mostly empty wrappers. Eh, it's only once a year, right?

A year ago I wrote to you through the wild ride that Joey took us on. Did you remember that November is the anniversary of his hospitalization? It feels like a lifetime ago (and to him it was half of his lifetime ago), yet it's hard to believe it's already been a year. He's been so wonderfully healthy, growing, and happy, with the occasional two-year-old tantrum, of course.

And I've made progress in the area of Nesting that I want to share with you! I hope to post pictures soon of the new arrangement of our front room and playroom. The months ahead hold so much more nesting potential, I really don't want to get too far behind in showing you.

Most recently I've been wanting to tell you the way I could not have survived the two weeks that John was in Argentina if not for the love of my neighbors and friends. The word community has come to mean so much more to me than just the group of people living nearby. It's love and support and a lifeline during some long, hard days.

Please know I have not forgotten you, my dear blog. I long to write more. And perhaps I will soon. But let's just not set our expectations too high...

Love,
Me

No comments: