Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pillars

"By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people."
Exodus 13:21-22

Raise your hand if you get caught up in wondering what in the world you're supposed to be doing with your life. Yeah, that would be pretty much all of us at some time or another. And if you didn't raise your hand, you have either not yet turned ten years old, or you're probably not being completely honest with yourself.

I often put great pressure on myself to figure out right now what I am doing with my life. Sometimes I'm just thinking of this week. Other times I think about the next few years or beyond. Am I doing what I'm supposed to with my time? Am I investing in the people I should be? Am I teaching my children the right things? Am I working hard enough at knowing God better each day?

And what's the plan for the future? Am I heading in the right direction? Should I be taking on more responsibility? Or less? Should I make different friends? Have more babies? Stay at home? Get a job?...

Now imagine yourself as an ancient Israelite. I'm talking about the ones who lived back when Moses was around. The ones who wandered in the desert. God's presence was literally there before them, for all to see. They didn't have to wake up each morning and wonder what direction they should walk. They didn't have to consult someone else to find that information out for them. They just looked up and followed the cloud during the day or the fire during the night. And it was always there.

Don't you wish it were that easy? Sometimes I do. I wonder if the Israelites felt great relief in not having to make those decisions for themselves. No one wondered where or when. The pillar of cloud or fire showed them when and led them where. It could not have been more clear.

Sometimes God still helps us out by making things obvious for us. A friend struggling with the decision of having more children suddenly discovers she is pregnant. I'd say that's a pillar of cloud. Another who wrestles with the decision to leave a difficult job is suddenly downsized. Pillar of fire, don't you think?

But for all those less obvious times, we are not helpless. Thousands of years later, I'm comforted by two things:

First, I am guided by God's Word, the Bible.

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
Psalm 119:105

But unlike the nation of Israel, it has to be my choice to keep it before me each day. And to follow.

Second, I have the Holy Spirit.

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever."
John 14:16

Forever. Always there. Just like the pillars, but even better. Personal, comforting, and ever-present.

What are you looking to for guidance as you look into the days ahead?

1 comment:

Jane K said...

Hi Kelly, I'm looking here because I am a YFC Aussie and receive Hands across the Seas from Jenny W. I just love your blog! Your honesty is great. I'm passing the link onto my blogging daughter who has 3 small children also and asks similar questions to you.
Keep asking those questions and looking to God for the answers.
Happy blogging, following and mothering. Jane K