Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm Cheap

In a continuing effort to get in the fall spirit, I did some brief research on corn mazes and pumpkin patches to visit during my daughter’s second week of Fall Break. I say brief because I realized quickly that they all charge admission, which is somewhere in the vicinity of $15 per person, which is far more than I’m willing to pay for an hour of organized nature, which my children may or may not appreciate.

Which is to say, I’m cheap.

I know the kids would have a great time, and it would probably be worth it, but I just can’t make myself fork over that kind of cash!

Fortunately, we live in a really great small town, and there are plenty of things to hold the kids’ interest that are totally FREE.

Earlier this week we took a stroll along our historic Main Street, starting at the hay maze. I sat with my baby boy while we watched his siblings play.


Then we admired (and f-f-feared) the huge inflatable decorations.


The local farmer’s market had an incredible selection of massive pumpkins that we browsed and, yes, hugged.


And then we went to Walmart and the kids helped me pick out a couple of pumpkins to take home. For $2.50 each. That’s more like it!

And the greatest part is that they loved it all so much, we went back to the hay maze again the next day.

I love me some free Fall entertainment!

How do you celebrate the change of seasons without spending too much?

No comments: