Friday, May 9, 2008

Staging, Phase II


I was talking to my friend Jen on the phone yesterday and she mentioned packing for her upcoming trip to Mexico for vacation. It sounded wonderful... I imagined putting warm-weather clothes and swim suits and sandals in a suitcase in the anticipation of a week of relaxing in the sun...

We are packing, too, but in a much different way. We have finally gotten around to interviewing realtors, and as a result we are starting to put away anything that isn't necessary for daily life. Or even weekly. I'm calling it "Phase II" of the staging process as we get our condo ready to put on the market -- soon!

I did take a gazillion pictures of our home as we know it before boxing up so many of our personal items. I want to remember the African carvings and art we had on our catwalk before it simply became a plant shelf. I want to remember the mobile above Lucy's bed and the framed footprints on her wall that I see each time I walk out of the kids' bedroom. I want to remember the blessing of having a cluttered cubby shelf stocked with so many wonderful toys before we limit them to just the few hidden baskets under the coffee table.

But even as I become nostalgic about our first home, the home both of our children were born into, I am excited at the prospect of someone else falling in love with this place like we did, and at the idea of finding a new home for our family to live and make friends and memories.

Back to the boxes!

No comments: