Monday, July 28, 2008

Good grief

My dear friend Jen told me a few months back about the battle her college roommate/maid of honor/best friend was fighting. Last fall, at age 32, Leslie had a brain tumor removed, and over the course of the last few months, what started out as a bothersome sinus problem became the fight of her life as cancer overtook her lungs. I got the news yesterday that Leslie 'defeated cancer,' though her body did not, as she went home to be with the Lord on Saturday night.

As I've been following her husband's blog for several months, I've been amazed by the perspective he and Leslie have had about life and death. His honesty through these struggles have taught me so much. If you have a minute (and a box of kleenex), his last blog post is worth your time. A few days ago he also posted a link to this essay with an amazing perspective on cancer's unexpected blessings.

I am rejoicing that Leslie is indeed free from pain, free from gasping for air, free from fear. But I grieve on behalf of her husband and her 3-year-old son, the rest of her family, and my friend Jen who will miss her best friend.

1 comment:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW!!

God is indeed glorified in Leslie's husband's sweet words about her life and God's grace. With tears of grief for her husband and precious little boy mixed with tears of joy that she's worshipping with the angels in the Throne Room of our Savior, I am ever thankful that you shared this story and allowed us all to be able to count each breath we breathe as a beautiful blessing from above.

May God richly bless this family.